Sunday 6 June 2010

Sunday June 6th, 2010 Cancer Survivors

June 6, 2010 is the 23rd annual National Cancer Survivors Day. Their website describes it as - an annual, worldwide Celebration of Life that is held in hundreds of communities throughout the United States, Canada, and other participating countries. For some time now I’ve wanted to write a column about cancer and especially cancer survivors. I don’t dwell on it, but I’m one myself due to melanoma. At this point in my life I have family and friends who are survivors. I also have family and friends who didn’t get to be survivors. I am truly amazed by some of the survivors I know. When I see what they went through, I can’t help but admire their strength and courage. And I am thankful every day that they are still with us. Here’s to all the survivors out there.

Irwin Barker

In June of 2007 Irwin who is a Canadian stand-up comedian was diagnosed with a rare type of terminal cancer known as leiomyosarcoma. His first year of treatment was covered in the CTV documentary “That’s My Time”, which aired in September 2008. If you happened to catch it, it was inspirational. Irwin said “Cancer has my body but not my spirit, and I’ll continue to make jokes, not so much about cancer, but in spite of it”. Last winter I was surprised to hear his voice on the CBC radio show, The Debaters. How refreshing to realize that 2 ½ years later Irwin is still with us. He is also a writer for The Rick Mercer Report and is a 5 time nominee for a Gemini award.

Life In The Balance: My Journey With Breast Cancer
by Marla Shapiro

Dr. Marla Shapiro is a physician, a medical contributor to Canada AM, the editor of Parents Canada magazine, a wife, a mother and a cancer survivor. Follow her on a journey from diagnosis through treatment. She talks about the emotional effects of cancer on her and her family members, who in turn tell their side of this journey. If you have a loved one that’s been touched by breast cancer this book may help you to really understand just what they are going through.

Live Strong: Inspirational Stories From Cancer Survivors by the Lance Armstrong Foundation

These poignant stories are taken from video interviews. Cancer survivors share their fears, talk about how they are coping and the impact that cancer has had on their lives. I think the description of this book in our library catalogue sums it up best when it says - Some people think the cancer experience is only about the diagnosis and treatment of cancer, as if after the disease goes into remission, it no longer exists. But survivorship goes beyond remission. Survivorship is an evolution.

We carry other books written by survivors such as Cancer Schmancer by Fran Drescher and Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris Carr. A quick search of www.amazon.com under cancer survivor will get you over 8,000 titles. If you see something you’re interested in that we don’t carry, we can try to borrow it through our Interlibrary Loan service.

We also have books under the subject – Cancer Psychological Aspects. Here you will find titles to help you on your journey to healing. You not only have to heal physically, but also emotionally. That can take time. You learn to stop worrying, but it’s always there in the back of your mind.

There are lots of cancer websites you can check out, such as:

The National Cancer Institute


The Canadian Cancer Society

Regional Cancer Care

The last website will also connect you to further web resources.

If there is a cancer survivor in your life give them a hug today. Remind them how happy you are that they are here. And if you are a cancer survivor, this is your day. As my fridge magnet says – Celebrate each new day. Be good to yourself, you deserve a treat, even if it’s something as simple as buying yourself a coffee at your favourite coffee shop.

Karen Craib is a Library Technician.

No comments: