Sunday 4 November 2007

November 4th, 2007 Year of the Author

If I had to describe 2007, to me it was the year of the author. On a personal note, it was a sad year, with the loss of a family member in the fall of 2006. It was a year of getting through all the little anniversaries and adjusting to a new life. It was as if someone knew I needed some sunshine in my days and brought me the chance to see and hear three authors I admire.

William Thomas

From the moment I heard that author, columnist and humorist William
Thomas was coming to the library, I knew I had to be there. I've been reading his column in Pets Magazine for years and I've read most of his books. On May 9 my husband and I were part of a small audience in the auditorium of the Waverley Resource Library, that were fortunate enough to hear him. He said he doesn't actually do a reading, instead he sat on the corner of a table and just talked. He was warm and terribly funny. It was like reading one of his books. I actually spoke to him after and told him what a thrill it was to hear him. There is only one of his books that I haven't read. His newest book out is The Cat Rules (Everything, Including The Dog!). It's about life with Weggie, the hockey playing cat. It's a follow up to his best selling book The Dog Rules (Damn Near Everything). Hmm – I guess this tells you which animal is really the one in control. His animal stories are hilarious and will touch the heart of any pet lover. He also has a book about the humorous side of life with his elderly mother, that I enjoyed, called Margaret And Me. For hilarious travel stories be sure to read Never Hitchhike On The Road Less Travelled. At the library, he spoke of some of his travel escapades, and they were even funnier to hear in person. This was his second visit to the library. If he ever returns, treat yourself and attend. I'm sure you'll leave with a smile on your face. We carry most of his books at the library.

Mark Cullen
May was a busy month for visits by authors. When my sister asked if I'd like to attend a talk by a well known gardener, I said I would if it was David Tarrant or Mark Cullen. Well, it was Mark Cullen. On May 25 I sat in a packed room at the Italian Cultural Centre to hear him. I think he said there were over 600 people in the audience. He was funny and very interesting. It was fun to listen to a famous voice I'd only ever heard on a radio show. He showed photos of his garden, well known Canadian gardens and gardens he visited on a trip to England. The photos were breathtaking. It was a treat for your senses. Afterward I went home, looked around the yard, and said, this doesn't quite compare. But – you can dream. His books are a perfect choice if you're sitting at home this winter on a dark thirty below Celsius evening, just trying to stay warm. You can open up a book and transport yourself to a warm sunny day in a lush garden. Who knows, maybe that night you'll even dream about summer. The library carries several titles by him, such as Mark Cullen's Ontario Gardening: How To Get The Most From Your Garden With Canada's Bestselling Gardening Expert. And if you're spending your winter planning a new garden for the spring, Mark can help with Canadian Garden Design: Ideas and Inspirations For Your Garden.

Lorna Landvik
Early October lead me to the accidental discovery that one of my favourite authors would be appearing in Duluth, Minnesota during my vacation. A few phone calls later, I was registered for a dinner with Lorna Landvik and I could scarcely contain my excitement. The last time I was this excited was in the early 1980's, when cast members from the soap opera, Another World came to Keskus. I had a wonderful evening. I sat with perfect strangers, members of a Duluth book club and had a great time. Lorna was gracious, funny and unfortunately, even sick to her stomach. I've enjoyed every book by her. From the moment a library staff member recommended Patty Jane's House Of Curl, I was hooked. I borrowed some of her other titles from out of town through our Interlibrary Loan service. It's a great service. I don't know what I'd do without it. I then submitted suggestions to purchase all of her titles, and I've read them all. I finished reading her new book The View From Mount Joy, just two days before I realized she'd be in Duluth. October 11 saw me eager to join Lorna for a chicken caesar salad and hear her read from her book, and answer questions. The library carries all of Lorna's books. Her latest The View From Mount Joy follows Joe Andreson through the years, starting with his move to Minneapolis as a high school senior. Joe has a crush on one of the most popular girls, Kristi Casey, a cheerleader. They stay in touch over the years, as Joe becomes a grocer and Kristi becomes a televangelist. They both go on to meet other people, but their lives stay entwined.

Now you see why I called this the year of the author. I feel as if
someone was watching out for me and trying to cheer me up in an absolutely amazing way. To see just one of these authors would have been exciting, but to have the chance to hear all three, was a once in a lifetime opportunity. It brings to mind a sheet of stickers I bought this fall. One of them says Give Thanks For Simple Blessings. Right now, I feel blessed.

Karen Craib, Library Technician

No comments: