Sunday 30 March 2008

March 30th, 2008 The Art of Letter Writing

Do you enjoy writing letters? I love to, but I think I’m part of a dying breed. People find it easier to just hop on the computer and send a quick email. The message gets there instantly and there is no postage fee. Email serves its purpose, but it doesn’t come close to the enjoyment I feel when I sit down to write a letter. It’s almost like an art. First you choose the paper and the envelope, an appropriate sticker to seal it (I have a sticker for almost every occasion) and then an attractive stamp. I enjoy receiving letters as much as I enjoy sending them. I like to know what family and friends are up to and to hear their innermost thoughts. It’'s a chance to connect with people overseas as well as right here in your hometown. Here’s to the lost art of writing letters.

The Art Of The Handwritten Note: A Guide To Reclaiming Civilized Communication by Margaret Shepherd

If you enjoy receiving letters, you may also enjoy writing them. This book offers advice on penmanship, keeping a straight margin and choosing appropriate stationery that fits your style. A book review I read about it described my feelings about letter writing perfectly –you no doubt recognize the importance of the note that comes in a unique envelope with distinct handwriting and possibly a decoration or two. We don’t carry this title but we can borrow it for you from out of town, through our Interlibrary Loan service.

Just A Note To Say…: The Perfect Words For Every Occasion by Florence Isaacs

This book has letter suggestions for a wide range of situations. It covers everything from adoption to how to write a get well note to a cancer patient. There’s advice on how to enhance a card or letter using special quotations, photographs, or a newspaper clipping, such as this article. There’s also a chapter on selecting stationery and writing instruments.

Great Personal Letters For Busy People: 501 Ready-To-Use Letters For Every Occasion by Dianna Daniels Booher

This book features sample letters that can be easily adapted to your own use. It covers a wide range of topics such as births, engagements, divorces, thank you notes, apologies and consumer concerns. We don’t carry this title, but we can borrow it for you from out of town.

Stationery

I don’t think you can ever have too much stationery. There are companies out there creating something for everyone. There’s paper to celebrate your hobbies or the seasons. My favourite manufacturer is the Lang company from Wisconsin. I have to admit I have a bit of a fetish for their note paper, cards and sticky note pads. You can find
the perfect stationery for almost any situation. Visit them at http://www.lang.com/
If you like beautiful envelopes you can’t beat Leanin’Tree. Take a look at the greeting cards on their website at http://www.leanintree.com/GreetingCards.asp I know of a certain postman in England who looks forward to seeing mail from me, just to see the envelopes.

Stamps

As well as a pretty envelope and sticker, the right postage stamp can dress up your letter even more. The stamps of today are miniature works of art featuring everything from flowers, Canadian vistas or a smiling Queen Elizabeth. There is a new line of celebration stamps featuring fireworks, which I think are perfect for special occasions such as a birthday or anniversary. You can also create a stamp of your own, perfect for adding to a wedding invitation or baby announcement. If you’re looking for a sneak peek at what stamps are coming out next, subscribe to Canada Post’s Details magazine or check the posters at a Canada Post outlet. Source: http://www.canadapost.ca

If you weren'’t a letter writer when you started reading this I hope I might have interested you in taking it up. It’'s fun, relaxing, you can do it anywhere and it’s nice to add your own brand of beauty to the world. It’s worth it just to make someone smile.

Karen Craib, Library Technician

No comments: