Sunday 17 August 2008

Sunday August 17th, 2008 Knitting Discoveries

I’ve recently rediscovered knitting. I tried it once many years ago when my children were small but they said it made me cranky so I stopped. As I recall, I did spend most of my time tearing back or retrieving dropped stitches so their observation was probably accurate. Nonetheless, I love the texture and the colours of wool and I have always nursed an abiding desire to create something knitted. Perhaps, this is because when I was very young I had an elderly great-aunt – she must have been at least 100 years old (or so it seemed to me) – who lingered in her rocking chair all day, rocking and talking and knitting, her false teeth clacking rhythmically in time to the clinking of her metal knitting needles. I never understood a word she said but I found the clacking and the clinking rather comforting, in a sort of hypnotic way. Perhaps for me, knitting is destined to become a calorie-free alternative for chocolate. Yeah, right.

Anyhow...I am proud to say that at long last I have actually completed my very first knitting project, a sweater, of which I am inordinately proud. To be honest, I haven’t pieced it together yet so for all I know it has 3 arms and 2 backs and will only fit one of Douglas Preston’s weird, nightmarish creatures, but I don’t care. I actually KNIT something. Furthermore, I shall continue to knit. And the Thunder Bay Public Library will help me because, in my humble and completely objective opinion, it has the best collection of knitting resources ever!

KNITTING: 200 Q&A BY RITA TAYLOR. c2008
Got a knitting question you need answered? If so, this is the resource for you. Taylor is an expert on all aspects of knitting and she answers questions designed for beginners as well as experienced knitters, from casting on and basic stitches, to shaping, cables and much more.



THE YARN GIRLS’ GUIDE TO SIMPLE KNITS BY JULIE CARLES AND JORDANA JACOBS. c2002
This is the book that really compelled me to start knitting again. It offers some very stylish yet classic sweater and poncho patterns that are achievable, even for beginners who don’t want to have to start by knitting a dishcloth. Simple, step-by-step instructions, detailed illustrations of different kinds of stitches and techniques, (like how to finish a garment and sew it together) practical knitting advice and encouraging anecdotes are designed to appeal to both the neophyte and the more experienced knitter. (Incidentally, you’ll find the sweater I made on page 63!)

KNIT STITCHES IN MOTION FEATURING STITCHES FOR ALL SKILL LEVELS by LEISURE ARTS. DVD. c2007
Sometimes it’s easier to learn a new craft when someone shows you how to do it. If this observation applies to you, then instructional DVDs (of which the library has many) are an ideal choice. Here, expert knitter Catherine Miller Scott demonstrates stitches close-up and offers clear instructions and tips on how to best execute them.

TEACH YOURSELF VISUALLY KNITTING DESIGN: WORKING FROM A MASTER PATTERN TO FASHION YOUR OWN KNITS BY SHARON TURNER. c2007
This excitingly innovative handbook encourages you to design your own sweaters by demystifying the measurement dilemma. Turner offers precise master patterns with instructions for multiple sizes and gauges and she shows you how to customize and experiment to create imaginative, vibrant and completely unique knitwear.

STUNNING SHAWLS AND WRAPS BY SCARLET TAYLOR. c2007
Add a little BLING to your knitting! Scarlet Taylor presents fifteen beautiful designs, each of which incorporate different kinds of beads. All patterns feature beautiful yarns, detailed instructions and photos for each creative technique, easy-to-knit stitch patterns and, of course, eye-catching beads for just the right touch of colour, style and sophistication.


THINGS I LEARNED FROM KNITTING… WHETHER I WANTED TO OR NOT by STEPHANIE PEARL-MCPHEE c2008
Stephanie Pearl-Mcphee has been dubbed the knitting world’s Erma Bombeck. Here, she applies her trademark wit and wry insights to reveal the wise (and sometimes unexpected) truths contained within several familiar adages, understood as only a knitter could.

Of course, these titles are only a small sample of what’s actually available at the library. There are many, many more books containing knitting instructions and patterns designed for everyone (including four-legged friends) and every age, as well as a variety of knitting magazines and instructional electronic resources. So if you’re eager to start a new project or resurrect an old, browse the library website, or, better yet, visit us in person. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed!

Jill Otto, Library Technician
Mary J.L. Black Library

www.tbpl.ca

No comments: