Sunday 4 April 2010

Sunday April 4th, 2010 Books on Fire

I am excited to be writing my first library detective column, but choosing a topic was not as easy as I thought it would be. I wanted to write about something that was never written about before in library detective but was also interesting to me. I was finally inspired by the firefighters in my family and decided to write my column on firefighting.

My research led me to find many interesting books in our library collection. I found books about the history of the profession, manuals on how to become a firefighter, books for children, and even fictional stories where fighting fires is not the only hot topic.

Since I was little, I remember hearing stories about the fantastic meals the guys at the hall cooked up. I think this book could really be useful for the fire hall chef. Fire Hall Cooking with Jeff the Chef: Surefire Recipes to Feed Your Crew, by Jeff Derraugh, a veteran firefighter, provides easy to follow recipes that are sure to feed any hungry crew.



If you ever wondered when the first fire engine was built or how fires were extinguished in the 19th century, then I suggest reading A Canadian History of Fire Engines or The Story of Firefighting in Canada by Donal M. Baird. These books are filled with great pictures and interesting facts about how the firefighting profession developed throughout Canada.

For anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in firefighting, the library has several manuals to help you get there. The Complete Guide to Becoming a Firefighter : The Ultimate Recruitment Guide for Canadian Firefighters by Kory Pearn, includes information and tips on firefighting schools and courses, creating cover letters and resumes, preparing for the written and physical tests, and much more. There is also information on the requirements for becoming a firefighter in America in the McGraw-Hill's Firefighter Exams by Ronald R. Spadafora , which we also have as an ebook -- available online now!

Looking for a love story with a hunky, good looking fire fighter? Then pick up Lime Ricky by Jill Winters or The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks; a love story between volunteer fireman Taylor McAden and Denise Holden, a single mother. Find out if Taylor takes another risk in his life…falling in love.




If a love story is not for you, then try Firestorm by Iris Johansen, the story of an arson investigator who tries to stop a psychopath killer. Or The Smoke Room by Earl Emerson where Jason Gum, a rookie firefighter, must get himself out of a web of blackmail and deceit.




Finally, the library has tons of books on firefighting just for kids! Here are a couple of titles that might spark an interest in your little one. Firefighters to the Rescue by Kersten Hamilton; Fire Engines by E.S. Budd; or A Day in the Life of a Firefighter by Linda Hayward.

I had a lot of fun writing my library detective column and look forward to writing one again. Enjoy!!

Lindsey Long, Reference Librarian

No comments: