Sunday 20 June 2010

Sunday June 20th, 2010 Appreciating Simple Things

This spring I remembered my 2006 column about things I was thankful for. It’s one of the many thoughts I had during a family member’s stay in the Intensive Care Unit. Time goes slow when you’re waiting for test results and there’s a fear of the unknown, at least when you know what the illness is then you know how to fight it. One of the conversations I had during that time was about how any life-threatening situation can change the person being threatened. In my own brush with cancer there were things about me that changed. The biggest thing that’s stuck with me is my appreciation of nature. I recall driving to work that spring and noticing the trees were greener and the sky was bluer. This feeling has not left me. I’ve heard this is a common thing that happens to people. Last year I gave a friend who I know understands these feelings, a mug that says – Pick more flowers, watch more sunsets. I think that sums it up. Here are a few titles to get you on your way to a new appreciation of simple things.

The Best Things In Life Are Free: Cherishing The Simple Pleasures by Todd Outcalt

This book is about celebrating the simple pleasures in our life, the things that are important to us. There are chapters on family, friends, faith, hope and love, among others. And in keeping with the theme, there’s one on natural wonders. One chapter is about laughter and the power of a good laugh. It tells us that laughter helps you to cope with difficult situations and can make every day a bit brighter. In the saddest of times an unexpected laugh can do you wonders.

The Art Of Spooning: A Cuddler’s Handbook...by Jim Grace.

Are you a spooner? If you’ve never spooned before this book can tell you how to enjoy spooning and life’s other simple pleasures. For you non-spooners picture 2 spoons lying side by side in a drawer. I used to be a teaspoon but now I’m more like a tablespoon. This book is a light hearted romp. It answers questions such as – what do you do with your extra arm. One chapter is on making yourself spoon-ready. Sounds like a Seinfeld episode. This title is available in our collection as an electronic book. Hey, you could even listen to it while you’re spooning.

The World According To Mister Rogers: Important Things To Remember by Fred Rogers.

I first saw this book in a Wisconsin coffee shop. It impressed me and I kept reading things out loud to the person I was with. The foreword tells you that Mister Rogers kept quotes in his wallet and daily planner. Like Mister Rogers I write down things that I like and later transfer them to a little notebook. Whether it’s something I’ve read or a conversation over lunch, you never know what’s going to end up in my book. Fred Rogers offers us a book filled with quotes. Who knows, you may find something to add to your own book of quotes.

Living Life As A Thank You by Nina Lesowitz.

This book will help you to put more joy into your life. It’s filled with motivating quotes (oh boy) and blessings and has suggestions for how to practice gratitude. It offers ideas such as keeping a weekly gratitude journal or creating your own prayer book. Just cut out photos from nature magazines, paste them in a notebook, than add quotes or prayers. Whenever you look through the book it will remind you of what you are grateful for. One thing I found very interesting was a suggested gratitude practice that tells you to – Go for a walk and take in the bounty of nature. Look, really look, at the miracle of trees, plants, birds, and insects. When I read this section I thought – wow, I could have written that. And in fact I kind of did in my intro.

I hope you take the time to relish the simple things in life, maybe even the cup of coffee you’re having while reading this column. Now go out and enjoy the day.

Karen Craib, Library Technician

No comments: