Sunday 5 May 2013

Sunday May 5, 2013 Goose Hunting


When the ice thaws in Northwestern Ontario, the geese come back from their southern homes and return to the lakes and rivers of the north. For hunters, seeing flocks (properly, a gaggle or a skein) of geese means it’s time to don the camouflage. For me, it also means that I have to shape-shift my mind and think like a goose.
The National Audubon Society has a pocket guide to familiar birds of lakes and rivers. It states that “Because of their size and relative tameness, these geese are ideal subjects for making observations on bird behavior....” I don’t totally agree with that statement, otherwise, why would hunters need hunting blinds?(If you’re unfamiliar, a hunting blind is a hiding spot, usually made with branches and camouflage netting that you wait in until the geese (or ducks) are within shooting range). The geese I was hunting were far more wary of human presence than “city geese” and flew away the moment they felt something out of place.  

Where I was hunting was quite far from any town, up an old logging road and down a skidoo trail that went across a long lake to a bend in a river that fed into the lake. It was one of the few places where water wasn’t frozen; but the weather was nice and the wind was coming from the south. I believe it helped the geese migrate, and I actually got tanned!
For harvesting waterfowl, shotguns are generally the preferred tool, and they come in different gauges. The most common are probably 12- and 10-guage shotguns. The 34th Edition of the Gun Trader’s Guide has specifications and prices on thousands of types of guns, including various shotguns. Styles include pump-action, over-under, double-barrel and auto-loaders. What ammunition you use is important as well, as different shotgun shells have different ranges and power. I’m still just learning the differences in all these, and any success I have is currently through trial-and-error. Truthfully, far more geese escape my skills than fall prey to them.

For me, hunting is more than point and shoot. When I’m out there, I feel connected to the land. Even struggling to get a skidoo out of the snow becomes not just a struggle, but an effort to “do without doing,” to steal a Taoist idea. It doesn’t matter that I’m cold, wet, hungry, tired and far from home, I’m simply living “in the moment” and every sense is heightened. To me, the forest is the real world, and our cities are just temporary shelters. Each time I hunt and return to town, I have a far greater appreciation for community and co-operation; because otherwise, virtually none of us would have a chance of survival.
Hunting and being out in the wilderness is also about appreciation of all living things. Watching how animals behave and communicate is a thrill for me. For instance, in the book The Canada Goose by Kit Howard Breen, the author states that “Canada Geese form a lifelong pair bond once they have mated.” By being out on the water, I was able to witness this first hand. The line between human and animal becomes increasingly blurred when scientists say that many animals (especially birds!) are sentient, and when animals like geese show their loyalty, and I dare say “caring compassion” for one another when one is wounded.

I’m not a great hunter, but I do have a great time hunting. Miigwetch!
Chris Waite

No comments: